Monday, July 04, 2005

Beethoven as it shouldn't be heard

Today I went to hospital for an MRI scan. This involved me being placed in a sort of tunnel within an enormous machine which occupied a room in the hospital. The machine is a giant, powerful electromagnet. When switched on it lines up all the water molecules in your body. Pulses are then put through the machine causing about 1 per million water molecules to flip to a different orientation - this flip is picked up by sensors and used to create a very high resolution image of all the muscles and tendons in the relevant part of you body - in my case the left knee. - I think that is all correct.

Rather strangely the operator put headphones over my ears which attempted to play Beethoven interspersed with some sort of progressive soft trance track. The purpose, or so he said, was to hide the noise of the machine. If this was the purpose then it failed miserably since lying in the machine is rather like being next to a conversation between a pneumatic drill and a chaffinch in an enclosed space. Still, if nothing else the music amused me...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home