Friday, August 12, 2005

Scopian logic

Hmm. Not a great deal to say this week. Had a whole bunch of cases. Lots of meaty stuff this week all over the shop. Seemed to spend a lot of time in Sheffield. Nice place. Getting to the court from the station involves climbing a small mountain and negotiating around the building work which seems to have swallowed half the city.

Good to spend some time with Midgley who is teaching me to play chess. I have spent my life until now thinking that chess was not within my capability owing to the complexity of the moves each piece can do. However, I have discovered this week that I am capable of remembering what each piece can do and thus... the world of chess opens before my hungry mind. Fantastic.

I have just had dinner with Jean and Andy in the flat which they will live in after they are married next saturday. It is a tremendous place, part of what used to be a hotel. MASSIVE living room with superbly plastered ceiling. The meal also gave me an opportunity to engage in conversation with Jean's dad, who proved to be fascinating in many respects. We almost established what happened before the universe existed, but encountered a problem in our attempt to respond to the question: 'what was before the universe?' by answering GOD. As Andy pointed out, a rational take on this argument would lead us inextricably to the question - 'what was before God?' Andy says that you can create matter out of nothing because matter sometimes creates itself by borrowing energy which it then pays back. Interesting. Ultimately proof of God is in large part something which we have to deal with individually and on a relational level - ie - I believe God exists and so as far as I am concerned this is proven. This might sound like a cop out, and in a way it is, but I reckon its what really matters in the end if God is a relational being.

1 Comments:

At 9:56 pm , Blogger Shervington said...

hmm. readers may note that at least some of the above posts appear to be mere advertisements. I propose Tom Thrower's evange-concept should come into play here

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home