Monday, November 14, 2005

Commercial Break Now Over

It has been a little while

Infact, I have entirely forgotten where I left off.

But owing to popular demand the Blog is resurrected.

Today I was in Durham. In fact my case wasn't until 12.30 so I need not have driven up last night but I didn't remember this crucial fact until this morning. Nonetheless it has been a little while since I last cast my presence over the white house and as such I have no regrets. The kitchen was remarkably clean. Gosh. Unfortunately I was rather fatigued and not a little under the weather when I woke up this morning so my efforts in the legal department smacked somewhat of going through the motions. In the light of this I am not too disappointed that this week appears to be shaping up as the quietest for a couple of months. Time to catch up on blogging, work out how on earth income tax thresholds operate and hang around waiting for a call to tell me if I have pupillage or not.

Got down to the final four at one set of barristers' chambers. Rather odd really: They had something like 400 applicants. In the first round of interviews they had 8. I did a really bad first round interview, so much so that I had entirely forgotten about the dreadful experience by the time I was telephoned and asked to go back for another round, at which they had whittled it down to 4. This interview went a lot better. However, I have done too many pupillage interviews to read much into initial reaction. We shall wait and see...

In other news: Since my last post I have had nearly two months with a full complement of housemates. This has been a wholly positive experience. It has come to my attention that each of my housemates has their own quizzical and unique default activity which they revert to in the absence of other plans.

I have become a little bit of church itinerant. That is to say: for the last few weeks I have been supplementing St Mikes with York Evangelical Church which is growing on me. It is altogether quite small and jolly, and its sermons have a consistently epic quality to them.

This week though, Tim Bartlett was visiting. This was excellent as he is a jolly busy chap and to distract him for a weekend is quite a feat. We all trooped off to watch "Wallace and Gromit" at City Screen (an outrageously expensive cinema which gets away with it only because of its location). This film (which is thoroughly entertaining if not especially deep) was preceded in the case of Bartlett and I by a somewhat quizzical mutual bag-shopping experience in Fenwicks during which I became somewhat baffled by the large crowd of shoppers and inadvertently stood on the feet of a fellow shopper for a significant number of seconds before realizing that I was doing so. The said fellow shopper failed to react at all to this trespass - only compounding the sense of mystery. I bought a briefcase.

We played cards with the Scopes (or, as I feel they should be known in plural "Skypes") until 1am on Sunday Morning. I have never extracted so much entertainment from bits of tree (the cards that is, not the players). Owing to the presence of Bartletto we went to the Minster for a service in the morning. Impressive building, shame I forgot my glasses. The Service was pleasant in the sort of "is this a concert or a service?" way, and, having got used to 40 minute sermons the 10 minute number seemed a little brief. On the other hand I think Liturgy has something going for it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home