Monday, July 18, 2005

Progress

I arrived in York on Friday evening. I spent Friday evening and Saturday morning helping the Midgleys (and the aptly named Miss York) build flatpacks and finish the kitchen. Most of the work now seems to be done and the house really is fantastic. It is a three floor terraced house in a row of about 4, tucked away behind an arch at the bottom of a narrow street beyond which is a high stone wall dividing the street from an enourmous overgrown cemetery.

On Sunday I drove up to Durham with Edwards and spent the afternoon residing on a deckchair in the sun, before Jesmond Church in the evening where I encountered Becca Wood - remarkable. I drove back from Newcastle in the Dark, arriving home to York at about 1am. Driving for 2 hours in the middle of the night was quite challenging in a way - the main problem being the need to keep my mind focussed on the road ahead. On the other hand it is easier in some ways because the A1 was very quiet, the speed of most cars was higher than in the day, and you could clearly see where other vehicles were from their lights. I am still struggling a bit with the geography of York and have not managed to drive anywhere without getting lost at least once. However, this is only a matter of time.

This week pans out as follows: Today the plasterers are in to fix the ceiling in the bathroom (it collapsed last week). I have tommorow and wednesday free to get sorted and revise some law. On Thursday I am shadowing an advocate in York County Court. On Thursday night I am staying with Jon Cox prior to a training day in London on Friday.

First impressions of the city are very good - people seem very friendly - the cottages have a communal back yard and the neighbours have been introduced to me. There seems to be quite a sense of community in this area. I am looking forward to getting stuck into church - I think I will go to St Michael-le-Belfrey next Sunday and see what I make of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home